translations for automotive industry
Kasakova Traduzioni has been providing 100% reliable technical translations for the automotive industry for more than 20 years
ISO 9001 certified translations in all languages
The twentieth century will be remembered not only for the two world wars and the Iron Curtain that divided Europe for almost fifty years, but also for mass motorisation. If at the beginning of the 20th century there were few automobile pioneers, since the Second World War, with the relative well-being and economic development, practically every family has equipped itself with a car. Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Citroen, Peugeot, Volkswagen, Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Audi, Saab, Skoda are some of the best-known European brands. However, a fundamental contribution to the creation of the assembly line and the automation of the automotive production process came from overseas: John Ford gave a great rationalization and a business model that would change the course of automotive history. In recent history, going hand in hand with globalization, the automotive industry has seen an internationalization of production: all the brands mentioned above decentralize their production in developing countries or countries that have high labor and lowest materials, see China, India, Poland, Romania. If the design and concept remains the responsibility of the central offices in old Europe or North America, the production plants are located in other countries, where another language is spoken. This “internationalization” of automobile production has seen a large quantity of technical drawings, diagrams, manuals, glossaries and guidelines that need to be translated for the better understanding of production workers. A precise and reliable translation service is essential for automotive companies today: working in a multilingual context, technical translations become a fundamental support for keeping your workflow free from hitches. Translating in the “automotive” field one comes across technical terms such as “piston”, “connecting rod”, “ball bearing”, “pump”, “radiator”, “carburetor”, “brake calipers”, “silent block”, “driveshaft”, “muffler”, “intercooler”. To translate documentation from the automotive industry, and obtain a reliable translation that is precise and understandable support for the brand’s engineers, it is not enough to know the two languages and translate “literally”. It is necessary to have consolidated experience in the sector, and a technical preparation that complements the linguistic one.
Linguistic services for the automotive abroad
A pioneering example in this context is the agreement signed by Fiat in 1966 with the Soviet Union government for the opening of a production plant on the banks of the Volga: Vaz, “Volzhsky Avtomobilny Zavod”, utilized Fiat technology and the Fiat 124 model to create what would become the most popular car in the country’s history. The production center was established in the city of Togliatti, named in honor of the then Secretary of the Italian Communist Party Palmiro Togliatti. The agreement was epoch-making as it created a production bridge between Italy and the countries of the Warsaw Pact. The lengthy negotiation, supervision, and production required the efforts of a careful team of interpreters and translators to translate from Italian to Russian, a language difficult and practically unknown in Europe. The contract between Fiat and the Soviet government stipulated that the Turin-based company would provide a complete project for the plant, transfer to the Soviets the designs and industrial property rights of two car models derived from the Fiat 124 type, modified to adapt to the specific climatic and road conditions of the USSR, and purchase part of the necessary machinery. The construction cost of the plant was estimated at $642 million. From the production lines emerged the car affectionately known as “Zhiguli.”
Technical translations for the automotive sector – the tasks of the translator
The task of a translation company offering adequate linguistic support for the automotive industry is to translate technical documentation:
- Understanding the subject matter, providing a relevant translation that is semantically effective, avoiding sterile literal translations. Kasakova Traduzioni has a team of native-speaking translators who complement their curriculum with technical preparation.
- Providing a consistent translation. Imagine two engineers talking on the phone in an automotive production plant: each has an engine diagram, but in one, a word is translated one way, and in another, the translation is different. This creates confusion and is not functional to their work. Kasakova Traduzioni ensures the creation of dedicated glossaries that impose a uniform translation.
- Being able to translate in software dedicated to technical drawing, such as AutoCad, MicroStation, CorelDraw, and others. This is crucial for maintaining fidelity to the original. Kasakova Traduzioni provides automotive sector translations complete with Desktop Publishing, i.e., editing in the software used by the project.
- Adhering to deadlines and meeting urgencies. Our company operates practically 365 days a year and always responds flexibly to emergencies.
- Being consistently present and available to the client. While seemingly straightforward, in the modern world, most interactions occur remotely. Direct contact is rare, and the supplier’s attention is crucial in times of need. Kasakova Traduzioni has dedicated project managers with years of experience in international multilingual projects in the automotive industry.
- Quality. Providing quality translation, especially in a challenging field like the automotive industry, is no easy task. As Kasakova Traduzioni aims to deliver 100% reliable technical translations, our company pays great attention to quality control. Our translations are ISO 9001 certified.
We translate your technical documentation into ALL LANGUAGES and in different formats: